This Lemon Chicken Piccata is an easy and impressive dish! where gold-crispy tender chicken meets a zesty lemon-caper sauce. A restaurant-quality meal in your kitchen! Such a perfect weeknight dinner.
Serve this creamy chicken dish over a bed of pasta, or you can serve this with buttered pasta, white rice, potatoes, or crusty bread and a simple steamed vegetable.
What is Chicken Piccata?
When I first knew about this menu named chicken piccata, I thought it was quite luxurious, rare, and beautiful. Also, describe royal a.k.a fancy menu lol. Do not worry don’t be intimidating by name. Let’s talk about the basic thing, piccata. Piccata is a method of preparing food where meat is sliced, coated, sautéed, and served in a sauce. The dish is Italian as the name would imply, but it is originally made with veal.
The exact origin of this dish is unknown, although it certainly has its roots in Italian cooking. In Italy, it’s more common to see veal piccata than chicken piccata, and there’s a chance that the use of chicken is an Americanized version of the Italian veal dish. But, the flavors in this chicken dish are certainly Italian/Mediterranean—olive oil, wine, lemon, brined capers, Parmesan cheese, and fresh herbs. But the sauce is so good that if you want to switch it up, veal or fish can be substituted.
Why should Capers?
Talk about capers. Little did I know that Capers are pickled flower buds from a shrub-like bush called Capparis spinosa. These tiny spheres are sun-dried and brined or salted and, when added to a dish, provide an intense, spicy, salty, and tangy flavor. If capers aren’t available or are not your thing, green olives are the next best choice.
Finally, we have finished the brief history of food, now In this recipe, we’ll walk you through the steps to create this mouthwatering dish from scratch. So, roll up your sleeves, gather your ingredients, and let’s get cooking!
Ingredients of Chicken Piccata Recipe
- Boneless Chicken Breast; Lean, tender pan-fry chicken breasts stay perfectly juicy in this chicken piccata recipe. Plus, they’re rich in protein and vitamins. For optional, you can use chicken thigh too
- Salt and Pepper or to taste
- All-purpose Flour; this will give chicken a light crust on its exterior, thicken the sauce, and help lock in moisture.
- Butter; I use unsalted butter, Cooking the chicken in butter and adding it to the sauce makes this simple recipe irresistible.
- Olive Oil; is used for cooking and adding flavor
The original sauce consists of wine, so we substituted it with chicken broth. Here are the ingredients we use;
- Unsalted Butter; To cook the chicken in. It also adds a deliciously rich flavor
- Garlic minced; to add a pungent aroma
- Chicken Broth; A savory base for the sauce.
- Lemon will use lemon Juice and Lemon Zest as Fresh whole lemons to use for juice and garnish
- Capers drained; for a tangy, briny flavor, This is another key ingredient in this recipe, they’ll give the dish a more lemony, oily, and salty flavor. add a pop of salty flavor and a little texture. If capers aren’t to your liking, feel free to substitute or add chopped olives, sun-dried tomatoes
- Heavy Cream; for adding a creamy texture
- Fresh Parsley for garnish, Chopped fresh parsley is commonly sprinkled over the dish just before serving, adding a touch of freshness and color
Instructions for Chicken Piccata
Start by Chicken Piccata with frying the chicken.
First, on a large plate, combine the flour with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Set aside
Second, Cut chicken breast lengthwise into 4 thinner slices. Dredge the chicken to a flour mixture until well coated.
Next, in a pan over medium-high heat, add butter and olive oil. Once hot enough, cook the chicken for about 4-5 minutes per side or until golden.
Then, Place the chicken on a plate and set aside.
Move on to the next step, In the same pan, cook garlic with the remaining oil for 2 minutes then add chicken broth, lemon juice, lemon zest, capers, and heavy cream. next, stir to combine and cook until bubbling.
Lastly, Add the chicken back to the pan, spoon the sauce over the chicken, and cook for about 5 minutes. Do not forget to turn off the heat once the sauce is thickened to your liking.
For some variations; You can eat it with spaghetti, If you eat it with spaghetti, add the cooked spaghetti to a pan and stir until well combined with the sauce.
Garnish it with fresh chopped parsley. Enjoy your Chicken Piccata
Interested to cook this recipe?
Let me know your result by uploading pictures and tagging us on Instagram at much.butter and Pinterest. for cooking videos, check and subscribe to our Youtube page. you can join our email for the latest idea menus.
Thank you, your supports are so much appreciated 💕
HERE ARE OTHER CHICKEN-PASTA MENU IDEAS:
- 1½ lb Boneless Chicken Breast
- 1 tsp Salt or to taste
- ½ tsp Pepper or to taste
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ cup All-purpose Flour
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 3 clove Garlic thinly sliced
- ½ cup Chicken Broth
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp Lemon Zest
- 2 tbsp Capers drained
- ⅓ cup Heavy Cream
- 1 tbsp Fresh Parsley for garnish
In a large plate, combine the flour with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Set aside
Cut chicken breast lengthwise into 4 thinner slices. Dredge the chicken to a flour mixture until well coated.
In a pan over medium-high heat, add butter an-5d olive oil. Once hot enough, cook the chicken for about 4-5 minutes per side or until golden. Place the chicken on a plate.
In the same pan, cook garlic with the remaining oil for 2 minutes then add chicken broth, lemon juice, lemon zest, capers, and heavy cream. Stir to combine and cook until bubbling.
Add the chicken back to the pan, spoon the sauce over the chicken and cook for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat once the sauce is thicken to your liking. If you eat it with spaghetti, add in the cooked spaghetti to a pan and stir until well combine with the sauce.
Garnish it with fresh chopped parsley. Enjoy!