Let’s make Tofu chicken meatball at home! Made from Brown cooked tofu, a juicy chicken mixture in a warm Oyster Sauce soup. A super quick and easy to prepare, and so full of flavor! Nothing beats homemade cooking, right?
What is a Tofu Meatball?
Maybe you have a different term regarding the name, which I still looking for the correct term to call. here in Indonesia, we just call it Tahu Bakso – our version of a flavor explosion. Now, usually, these meatballs, or Bakso, are rocking it with ground beef. But hold on to your taste buds, ’cause today we’re rolling with ground chicken for these tofu meatballs!
I know, I know, chicken is breaking tradition, but hey, ground chicken brings its groove to the party – it’s lighter, it’s leaner, and it’s ready to mingle with our tofu in a whole new way.
Tahu Bakso is all about the vibes. Tofu, or tahu as we call it, is like the chameleon of the food world. imagine this – ground chicken, tofu, and a bunch of spices doing a taste tango in the kitchen. It’s a symphony of flavors, a dance of tradition with a twist.
Type of Tofu in Indonesia
In Indonesia, tofu, known locally as “tahu,” holds a prominent place in the country’s culinary landscape. This versatile soy product is widely consumed and integrated into various Indonesian dishes.
First up, we have the classic “tahu putih” or white tofu, which is the traditional and unprocessed form. This tofu variety has a neutral flavor, making it a versatile ingredient suitable for both savory and sweet dishes.
Then, there’s the “tahu Sumedang,” a tofu that originates from the city of Sumedang in West Java, this type of tofu is renowned for its firmer texture and slightly nutty taste and is perfect for grilling or frying. Indonesians appreciate this particular tofu for its ability to retain its shape and absorb the flavors of accompanying spices and sauces in various regional cuisines.
Now, let’s talk about “tahu pong.” This tofu is the life of the party with its hollow center. Use it in recipes where you want a surprise inside – it’s like tofu magic! tahu pong sometimes also called brown tofu
Now, For reference, what you’re going to do is make a hole in the center and replace it with the ground chicken mixture. Let’s get details into the ingredients and instructions;
Tofu Chicken Meatball, here we come!
you can certainly experiment and give it a unique twist by using brown cooked tofu or “tahu cokelat matang.” Brown cooked tofu has a distinct flavor and texture that can add an interesting dimension to your tahu bakso creation, keep in mind that it has a firmer texture and a slightly nutty taste compared to white tofu. For reference, here what you’re going to do is make a hole in the center and replace it with the ground chicken mixture. Let’s get details into the ingredients and instructions
Meanwhile, If you’re looking for alternative ingredients to use instead of tofu in tahu bakso, here are a few options:
- Tempeh: Tempeh is a traditional Indonesian soy product made from fermented soybeans
- Seitan: Seitan, also known as wheat gluten or wheat meat, is a protein-rich meat substitute made from gluten
- Soybean Curd Sheets
- Chickpea Tofu: Chickpea tofu, also known as besan tofu or Burmese tofu,
Get ready for a wild ride in the kitchen with me. Tofu meatballs with ground chicken – it’s gonna be a taste explosion!
Ingredients of Tofu Chicken Meatball
Tofu Chicken Meatball
- Ground Chicken; is the main protein source in the meatballs. It adds flavor and texture to the dish. I choose chicken for a light meaty flavor. You can always use ground beef, and mushrooms as a vegetarian option
- Oyster sauce; adds depth of flavor and richness to the soup
- Sugar; To balance the taste, I think sugar besides making it sweet, also makes it more savory
- Green Onions sliced; for aromatic
- grated garlic; add a strong, aromatic flavor to the meatballs and the soup.
- Sesame oil; to add a nutty and aromatic flavor to the dish.
- Salt and Pepper, Chicken powder, and sugar to balance the flavors and bring out the natural flavors of the ingredients.
- Brown Cooked Tofu; is the main ingredient for making a tofu meatball. Brown cooked tofu has a rough surface compared to regular tofu, and when frying the brown tofu, it won’t be as soft and fragile as the white/ regular tofu. I know this brown tofu might be not popular or you can’t find it easily. For an alternative, you can try with pong tofu, or else try with some wonton wrapper
- Vegetable Oil; you can swap with olive oil, canola oil, coconut oil, or sunflower oil.
- For making the sauce, I use seasonings Garlic powder, Oyster sauce, Soy sauce, Sesame oil, Sugar, and A pinch of Salt and pepper
- Add some Green onion for garnish Water as the base of the soup, and also add Cornstarch dissolved in 1 tbsp water it will help as a thickening agent Cornstarch is used as a thickening agent for the soup sauce. When dissolved in water, it creates a slurry that helps to thicken the sauce and give it a smooth consistency. Make sure to add the cornstarch after it dissolved to avoid lumping out
How to Make Tofu Chicken Meatball
Begin by preparing the brown tofu. Cut off the top part and carefully remove the filling.
Secondly, in a medium-sized bowl, mix all the ingredients for the chicken filling and stir until well combined. To ensure the taste is right, you can test it by frying a small amount of the mixture. If needed, adjust the seasoning by adding more salt, black pepper, and/or chicken powder.
Then, gradually fill the tofu with the flavorful chicken meat mixture until the surface is fully packed. and repeat this step for all the tofu pieces.
Next, Heat oil in a pan and carefully place the tofu meatballs with the meat filling facing downwards. Fry them until the meat turns a golden brown color. Then, flip the meatballs and cook until the entire surface is thoroughly cooked and firm. And Remove from the pan and set aside.
Now, heat the oil in the pan once again. Add water and the ingredients needed to make the sauce. Then, gently add the tofu meatballs to the pan, ensuring they are fully immersed in the sauce. Stir and allow them to cook for a while, allowing the flavors to meld together.
For most final step, Add the cornstarch mixture to the pan and stir briefly. This will help thicken the sauce and give it a smooth consistency. Finally, sprinkle the sliced green onions over the dish for added freshness and color.
Your tantalizing Tofu Chicken Meatball in Oyster Sauce Soup is now ready to be served! Enjoy its delicious flavors and comforting warmth.
I’m happy to find an easy and delectable recipe like this! I hope you enjoy it as much as mine!
For cooking videos, check out and subscribe to our Youtube page. you can join our email for the latest idea menus.
SEE OTHER SOUPS TO WARM YOUR DAY:
Thank you, your support is so much appreciated 💕
Written by Silni Asfia
Tofu Chicken Meatball in Oyster Sauce Soup
- 8 oz Ground Chicken
- 1 tbsp Oyster sauce
- ½ tbsp Sugar
- ⅓ cup Green Onions sliced
- 1 tbsp grated garlic
- 1 tbsp Sesame oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Chicken powder
- 1 pack Brown Cooked Tofu
- Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Oyster sauce
- 1 tsp Soy sauce
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- 1½ cup Water
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 3 tbsp Green onion sliced
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch dissolved in 1 tbsp water
- A pinch of Salt and pepper
Prepare brown tofu by cutting off the top part and then remove the filling
In a medium-sized bowl, mix all the ingredients for the filling and stir until well combined. To ensure the taste is right, you can test it by frying a small amount of the mixture. If needed, adjust the seasoning by adding more salt, black pepper or chicken powder.
Gradually fill the tofu with the meat mixture until the surface is full. Repeat this step until all the tofu is filled.
Heat oil in a pan, then flip the tofu so that the meat filling is on the bottom. Fry until the meat is golden brown, then flip and cook until the entire surface is cooked and firm. Remove and set aside.
Heat the oil in the pan again, then add water and the ingredients to make the sauce. add tofu meatball, Stir and cook for a while
Add the cornstarch mixture and stir briefly. Finally, add the sliced green onions.
Tofu meatball in oyster sauce soup is ready to be served!