Warm your soul with our homemade wonton clear soup recipe – A tasty, juicy filling of succulent shrimp and ground chicken in delicate wrappers and served in an umami flavorful broth, this easy wonton soup makes a wonderful all-in-one meal. Elevate your home cooking with this timeless classic.
This clear wonton soup is so cozy and satisfying.
What is wonton?
Wontons are Chinese dumplings filled with meat, typically served in a flavorful clear broth or dressed in sauce. Unlike most other Chinese dumplings, wonton wrappers are squares or trapezoids. The wrappers are slippery, thin, and supple.
Wontons are usually filled with ground chicken, shrimp, and aromatics. They’re incredibly popular, both as a snack, side dish, or meal. They’re served at home, in restaurants, and as night market street food, you can make them at home easily and they also sell them premade, frozen, in lots of grocery stores.
The humble recipe from my grandma
My grandma was the heart of our family, and her cooking was like a warm hug. She had this incredible talent for making simple, delicious meals that brought everyone together. One of her best recipes was for clear wontons – a dish that tasted like home and carried a piece of our family history. It’s not just about the food; it’s about the love and tradition she poured into every dish.
Are you on the same page as me? I mean in my grandma’s kitchen the ingredients are not as many as ours. She just has basic ingredients but turns out all of the menus are simple delicious and comfortable.
Her wonton recipe is a treasure. You mix ground chicken, chopped shrimp, green onions, and some tasty sauces to make the filling. Then, you fold it into little squares of dough. It’s like she’s passing down a delicious tradition with every fold. This recipe isn’t just about eating; it’s about remembering and honoring the love she put into her cooking.
Certainly! Making wontons from your grandma’s recipe sounds like a delightful culinary adventure. Here’s a basic recipe for clear wonton soup. and I think you should try my Wonton clear soup grandma’s recipe!
Ingredients of Wonton Clear Soup
- Ground Chicken; Provides a lean and flavorful protein base for the wonton filling
- Shrimp peeled and cleaned; Adds a delightful seafood flavor to the filling. A combination of chicken and shrimp is perfect for a savory and tasty wonton filling
- Oyster sauce and Sesame oil; Enhance the umami and savory flavors in the filling. And Adds a rich and aromatic touch
- Garlic grated; Infuses a pungent and aromatic flavor.
- Ginger grated; Brings a warm and slightly spicy essence to the filling. enhance the flavor of the broth. You can use fresh or frozen
- Green onion thinly sliced; Adds freshness and a mild onion flavor.
- Salt and Pepper; Seasoning to enhance the overall taste.
- Sugar; Balances flavors and adds a hint of sweetness.
- Chicken powder; Boosts the chicken flavor in the filling.
- Wonton Wrappers; The outer casing for the wontons, also called wonton skin or wonton pastry. provides a chewy texture.
- Here are tips for choosing the best wonton wrappers; not too thick because it will make it hard to shape. Essentially, wonton wrappers are square-shaped, very thin sheets of wheat flour-based dough that are used to wrap fillings into sealed parcels. If they’re labeled with various thicknesses, choose the thin or medium version and avoid the thick ones as they tend to be too doughy.
- Celery; Adds a crisp texture and subtle flavor to the soup
- Onion sliced; Provides a sweet and savory base for the soup.
- Green onion thinly sliced; Adds freshness and a mild onion flavor to the soup.
- Garlic minced; Enhances the soup with its aromatic and savory notes.
- Chicken powder; Reinforces the chicken flavor in the soup.
- Sesame oil; Adds a finishing touch, enhancing the soup’s aroma.
- Salt and Pepper; Seasoning to balance and elevate the soup’s flavors.
- Water; is the base for the soup, creating a comforting broth.
Let’s Make Wonton Clear Soup
1. Making Wonton filling
To start making the wonton filling, first, prepare a cutting board. Next, roughly chop the shrimp and set it aside.
Now, in a mixing bowl, combine the ground chicken, chopped shrimp, oyster sauce, sesame oil, minced garlic, and grated ginger. Stir until well combined.
Afterward, season the mixture with salt, pepper, sugar, and chicken powder.
Finally, add the sliced green onions and mix again until evenly distributed. This flavorful filling is now ready for the wonton wrappers.
2. Shaping wontons
Now, let’s move on to shaping the wontons. First, prepare the wonton wrappers on the cutting board or on a flat surface.
Next, take about 1 teaspoon of the meat mixture and place it on the wonton wrapper.
Then, moisten the edges with water, and fold it over to form a half-circle. Dip your finger in water and then run it around the edge of the wrapper. Fold the wrapper in half to make a triangle. Afterward, pull the right and left corners together, pressing them to seal the wonton.
Now, arrange the shaped wontons on a plate. Wet the bottom two corners and then bring them together under the filling. The top point will still be sticking up.
Repeat the process until all are done, creating a delightful assembly line of delicious parcels.
Meanwhile, prepare a pot of boiling water. Gradually add the wontons and cook for approximately 5 minutes.
After that, remove the cooked wontons and place them on a plate that has been lightly greased to prevent sticking. Your perfectly shaped wontons are now ready for the next step in creating your delicious wonton soup.
3. Making clear soup
To complete your wonton clear soup, follow these steps:
First, prepare another pot for the clear soup. Next, sauté the garlic and onions until fragrant, infusing the broth with aromatic flavors. Then, pour in the water and add 1 stalk of celery, bringing the mixture to a boil.
Afterward, season the soup with salt, pepper, sesame oil, and chicken powder for a well-balanced taste.
Finally, sprinkle sliced green onions on top and let them cook briefly, enhancing the soup with their freshness.
Now, arrange several wontons in a bowl, creating an inviting base for your soup.
Last but not least, pour the hot, flavorful broth over the wontons.
And there you have it – your wonton clear soup is ready to be enjoyed! Dive into the comforting blend of wontons and savory broth, savoring the culmination of your efforts in this delicious homemade dish.
I’m delighted to find an easy and delectable recipe like this! I hope you enjoy it as much as mine!
For cooking videos, check out and subscribe to our Youtube page. you can join our email for the latest idea menus.
SEE OTHER SOUPS TO WARM YOUR DAY:
Thank you, your support is so much appreciated 💕
Written by Silni Asfia
Wonton Clear Soup
- 8 oz Ground Chicken
- 4 oz Shrimp peeled and cleaned
- 1 tbsp Oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp Sesame oil
- 2 cloves Garlic grated
- 1 tsp Ginger grated
- 3 tbsp Green onion thinly sliced
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- ½ tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Chicken powder
- 1 packet Wonton Wrappers
- 1 stalk Celery
- ½ Onion sliced
- ¼ cup Green onion thinly sliced
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 tbsp Chicken powder
- ½ tbsp Sesame oil
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- 5 cups Water
Prepare a cutting board, then roughly chop the shrimp and set aside.
Mix the ground chicken, chopped shrimp, oyster sauce, sesame oil, minced garlic, and grated ginger. Stir until well combined.
Season the mixture with salt, pepper, sugar, and chicken powder.
Add the sliced green onions and mix again until evenly distributed.
Prepare the wonton wrappers on the cutting board. Take about 1 teaspoon of the meat mixture and place it on the wonton wrapper. Moisten the edges with water, then fold it over to form a half-circle. Pull the right and left corners together and press them to seal.
Arrange the wontons on a plate and repeat the process until all are done.
Prepare a pot of boiling water. Gradually add the wontons and cook for approximately 5 minutes. Then, remove them and place them on a plate that has been lightly greased to prevent sticking.
Prepare another pot and sauté the garlic and onions until fragrant.
Pour in the water, add 1 stalk of celery, and bring it to a boil.
Season with salt, pepper, sesame oil, and chicken powder.
Finally, sprinkle sliced green onions on top and cook briefly.
Arrange several wontons in a bowl, then pour the hot soup over them.
Your wonton soup is ready to be enjoyed!