Bang Bang Chicken is a total crowd-pleaser! Crispy Juicy fried chicken coated in a delicious, sweet chili mayo homemade sauce, it’s so addictive that it leaves you wanted more and more! Ready in 30 minutes! Serve it as an appetizer or part of a main meal.
As I surf on the internet, currently I find there are several types of bang bang chicken, even I don’t know is it bangbang chicken or chicken bangbang?
So, actually what is Bang bang chicken? where it comes from? term Bang bang remind me of A K-pop boyband in early 2000’s which BigBang lol, If you know you know, I might be Junior high school or elementary at that time. It was the first wave of K-pop hits in my country. Such a pioneer of Kpop aong with Super Junior and F4 lol I didn’t realize I was that old and didn’t we see that time just so quickly flies?
What is Bang bang chicken?
Back to the topic, so this is what I found, mean while a lot of bang bang chicken has been modified in American style, the original Chicken Bang Bang is a delightful dish with its roots firmly planted in the vibrant culinary world of Southeast Asia. It’s famous for the way it blends sweet, spicy, and tangy flavors, creating a mouthwatering experience that’s hard to resist. The dish found its beginnings amidst the bustling street food scene in Thailand, where talented hawkers crafted this delicious treat using simple yet incredibly flavorful ingredients.
The intriguing name “Chicken Bang Bang” is thought to have emerged from the lively streets of Thailand, where the dish first captured the hearts and taste buds of locals and visitors alike. While there isn’t a definite historical record explaining the exact origin of the name, there are several theories and interpretations that might give us some insights.
The term “Bang Bang” in the name likely reflects the Thai fondness for onomatopoeic names ( to a tendency or liking for using words that imitate the sounds associated with the object or concept they represent), where dishes take their names from the sounds they create or the feelings they invoke. As mentioned earlier, “Bang Bang” could also signify the bold and explosive spiciness that’s a hallmark of Thai cuisine, adding to the dish’s distinctive character.
Are you ready to make this bang bang Chicken at home? I really love the sauce, and you should try this too!
Ingredients of Bang Bang Chicken
- Chicken Breast Fillet; Perfect for absorbing the flavors of the sauce and creating a satisfying texture. You can also use boneless chicken thighs if you prefer for a juicier result.
- Flour, Cornstarch, and White Bread Crumbs; use for coating the chicken, cornstarch mixed with the flour for coating, and white bread crumbs as the final layer of coating for the chicken, adding a crispy texture to the fried chicken.
- Paprika, Onion, and Garlic Powder; contribute a savory and slightly sweet flavor and some garlic aroma, adding a warm and mild spiciness to the chicken’s flavor profile, and enhancing its overall taste.
- Cayenne Pepper; adding a fiery element that balances the sweetness of the sauce
- Lemon Juice; serves as a natural tenderizer for the chicken, ensuring it remains succulent and juicy during frying
- Black Pepper & Salt; for basic seasoning, and balancing the flavor
- Egg; acts as a binding agent for the coating, helping the flour, cornstarch, and breadcrumbs adhere to the chicken pieces during frying
- Milk; create a moist and light coating, ensuring the chicken stays tender. it will mix with egg
- Oil; I use vegetable frying oil, for frying chicken. You can use coconut oil too
- Parsley; optional for garnish, you can use sesame seeds or spring onions
I really love the sauce, creamy, sweet spicy. You can make some stocks for this sauce too, in case you want make some dipping sauce. You can make the sauce ahead of time; it will last in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Mayonaise; forms the creamy and rich base for the Bang Bang sauce. For an alternative, you can use Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Sweet Chili Sauce; adds a delightful sweetness to the sauce, balancing the spiciness of the hot sauce. Gives you a hint of tangy sweetness
- Hot chili Sauce; for an extra spicy taste
- Honey; add natural sweetness
- Salt and Pepper; as a basic seasoning and enhance flavor
How to Make Bang Bang Chicken
Firstly, begin by cutting the chicken breast fillet into bite-sized pieces, ensuring they are uniform in size. Next, in a mixing bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, paprika powder, cayenne pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, and salt. Be sure to mix all the dry ingredients thoroughly to ensure an even distribution of flavors,
Next, add the milk, lemon juice, and egg to the dry mixture, whisking vigorously until a smooth and lump-free batter forms. Gently add the chicken pieces to the bowl, coating them evenly with the flavorful marinade. Allow the chicken to rest for a few moments, letting the flavors meld together and infuse the meat.
While the chicken marinates, it’s time to prepare the tantalizing Bang Bang sauce. In a separate bowl, combine mayonnaise, sweet chili sauce, hot sauce, honey, salt, and pepper. Stir the ingredients until they are well combined, forming a luscious and creamy sauce that boasts a perfect balance of sweetness and spiciness.
Preparing the coating and frying chicken
Next, in another bowl, place a cup of white bread crumbs to coat the marinated chicken. Meanwhile, heat a generous amount of oil in a pan over medium-high heat, ensuring it is hot enough for frying. Take each marinated chicken piece and thoroughly coat it with the breadcrumbs, creating a crispy and flavorful outer layer. Fry the coated chicken pieces in the hot oil until they are cooked through and turn a delectable golden brown. Repeat this process with the remaining chicken pieces, ensuring each one is cooked to perfection.
Once all the chicken pieces are fried to a crispy delight, it’s time to assemble the dish. Drizzle the freshly fried chicken with the prepared Bang Bang sauce, ensuring each piece is generously coated with the creamy goodness. For a delightful finishing touch, garnish the Bang Bang Chicken with a sprinkling of fresh parsley, adding a burst of color and freshness.
And voilà! The tantalizing and flavorful Bang Bang Chicken is now ready to grace your dining table. Serve it hot and watch your family and friends delight in the delicious explosion of tastes. Bon appétit!
In case you need more chicken snacks for your daily acitivities at home, kindly
CHECK FOR OTHER CHICKEN SNACKS RECIPE IDEAS:
Don’t forget to try this recipe, let me know if this recipe works and be your favorite menu to cook. You can save this recipe by signing up for my email list! Do not forget to leave a star rating and a review in the comment section further down the page. Furthermore, I always appreciate your feedback.
Thank you for your support❤
Chicken Bang Bang
- 1 lb Chicken Breast Fillet
- ½ cup Flour
- ¼ cup Cornstarch
- 1 tbsp Paprika Powder
- ½ tbsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tbsp Onion Powder
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 large Egg
- 1 cup Milk
- 2 cup White Bread Crumbs
- ½ cup Mayonaise
- ¼ cup Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1 tbsp Hot Sauce
- 1 tbsp Honey
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
Cut the chicken breast fillet into bite-sized, then set aside.
In a bowl mix flour, cornstarch, paprika powder, cayenne pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, and salt. Mix well then add the milk, lemon juice, and egg. Whisk until there is no lump. Add the chicken pieces to the bowl, mix and rest for a few moments.
In another bowl, add a cup of white bread crumbs. In a pan heat the oil over medium-high heat. Coat the entire surface of the chicken with breadcrumbs, then fry until cooked through. Repeat with the rest of the chicken pieces. Drizzle chicken with sauce and granish it with parsley.
Mix mayonaise, sweet chili sauce, hot sauce, honey, salt and pepper until well combined.
Chicken bang bang are ready to serve. Enjoy!