What is Beef Stroganoff?
Beef Stroganoff is served in various ways. If you like mushroom you can add it. This dish is generally served over wide or twisted egg noodles in United States. You can served it whatever you want.
Couple years ago three of us went to the one of expensive restaurant in Bandung to tried this dish and of course it’s delicious. So this time we want challenge ourself to cook this homemade beef stroganoff and share the recipe so that you can make this easy and simple dish.
As we know beef stroganoff widely use mushrooms, but we read from an article that the original recipe only use cut of beef. We like the taste and texture from mushroom so we add it on the recipe.
What particular cooking style that we like to make beef stroganoff?
- First, we like the sauce a little bit soupy. For sure we would choose a little soupy beef stroganoff rather than dry beef stroganoff.
- We turn off the heat before we add sour cream, as the sour cream tend to curdling if we use high heat.
- Other recipe use twisted egg noodles or rice for the carb, but we use conchiglie pasta because the shape will hold the sauce when we scoop it.
- We choose sirloin beef steak for the beef. I know it’s a little bit expensive but the taste and the texture will be worth it.
- We seared the beef on a very high heat 30 seconds for every side. Don’t overcook it unless you want tough meat.
We really had a great time making and eating this recipe together so I hope you will have a great time with your family, too.
TUTORIAL VIDEO FOR THIS RECIPE
Beef Stroganoff with Conchiglie Pasta
- 250 g Conchiglie Pasta
- 300 g Sirloin Beef thinly cut
- 200 g Swiss Brown Mushrooms thinly cut
- 1/2 Onion cubed
- 3 cloves Garlic chopped
- 175 g Sour cream
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 1 tsp Beef seasoning
- 1 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 3 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 3 cups Water
- 1 tsp Paprika Powder
- Salt & Pepper to your taste
- Dried Parsley optional (for garnish)
Cook conchiglie pasta according to its package. After the pasta is drained, add 1 tbsp cooking oil to prevent the pasta from sticking.
In a pan turn the heat to very high heat. Add 2 tbsp cooking oil. Add the half of sirloin beef. Cook for 30 seconds each side. Set aside and repeat for the rest of the sirloin beef. Set aside on a plate. Don’t turn off the heat.
In the same pan add mushroom and onion. Sautéed for 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and pinch of salt and stir for 1 minute.
Add butter until all melted. Add 2 tbsp flour and stir for 2 minutes. Add 3 cups water.
Add beef seasoning, paprika powder, salt and pepper. Adjust saltiness to your liking.
After the soup is boiling, add sirloin beef and stir for about 1 minutes. Turn off the heat. Add sour cream and toss until combined.
Take cooked conchiglie pasta to a plate. Add beef stroganoff on top. Garnish with parsley.
Beef stroganoff is ready to be served. Enjoy!
- you can substitute beef seasoning and water with beef stock
- you can substitute swiss brown mushrooms with regular button mushrooms.