Today’s recipe is Chicken potato croquettes. A crispy croquette on the outside with a melting and juicy inside made from chicken, potato, cheese, and veggies mixture. Super fulfilling and flavorful for an appetizer or side dish!
These chicken croquettes are fun to serve as a mid-day snack or for a meal. For the ingredients you can use fresh or even leftover chicken and also you can swap it with turkey, shrimp, salmon, or whatever you want.
This recipe also is a modified version of my previous recipe Beef Potato Croquettes!
What are croquettes?
Croquettes are a popular food that is served as a side dish, snack, or fast food all over the world. This dish originated in France. Croquettes are fried cylinders, balls, or an oval of minced meat or vegetables held together with mashed potatoes.
Croquettes are usually made up of a creamy filling, in this case, it’s chicken, and then dipped in egg coated in breadcrumbs, and then deep-fried. It’s absolutely delicious! You can dip it with some chili sauce, chili oil, or even homemade creole seasoning.
If the beef potato croquettes are inspired by Dutch food, also called perkedel, In Indonesia, people call potato croquettes “perkedel kentang“. Kentang means potato. Actually, the origin of perkedel comes from the Dutch “frikadeller” during the Dutch colonial period in Indonesia. But Indonesian people find it difficult to pronounce frikadeller. Perkedel doesn’t contain other veggies meanwhile this chicken potato croquettes use some veggies in the filling.
These chicken and potato croquettes are ideal as a starter or appetizer because they not only taste delicious but also look delicious. Crispy and crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside.
They are also suitable for mid-day snacks or children’s lunches, as well as Ramadan Iftar. Because it freezes well, I usually double the batch for snacking stocks up. Let’s dig in!
Ingredients of Chicken Potato Croquettes
- Chicken breast fillet boiled and shredded; I use leftover chicken here. Feel free to use fresh chicken or you can change the ingredients with fresh or even leftover chicken and also you can swap with turkey, shrimp, salmon, or whatever you want. providing a flavorful and moist texture.
- Potatoes peeled, cut, and boiled; Potatoes add a starchy component to the croquettes, helping bind the mixture together. They contribute to the texture and provide a neutral base. It’s also a carbohydrate that makes the stomach full
- boiled corn kernels; add sweetness and a burst of texture to the croquettes. They also bring a colorful and visual appeal to the dish.
- Green bell Pepper; adds a crunchy texture and mild flavor
- to grated cheese; adds richness and flavor to the croquettes. I use cheddar cheese here
- Onion sliced; a savory and slightly sweet flavor to the croquettes. They also provide a nice crunch
- Garlic minced; adds a savory and aromatic element to the croquettes
- To balance all flavor tastes I add some Seasoning which includes; Salt and Black pepper, Chili powder, Soy sauce, Sweet soy sauce, Mushroom powder. Adjust the ingredients to your preference
- All-purpose flour; use for coating the croquettes before dipping them in the egg. It helps the egg adhere to the surface.
- Milk; adds moisture and contributes to the creamy texture of the croquettes.
- Cornstarch; contributes to the coating process before binding to the egg
- Egg; as a binder, helping hold the croquettes together. They also contribute to the breading process, ensuring the breadcrumbs adhere to the surface.
- fine breadcrumbs; Breadcrumbs coat the croquettes, providing a crispy and golden-brown exterior when fried. They add super crunchy texture and contribute to the overall mouthfeel.
- Vegetable oil; use for frying the croquettes. I Use vegetable oil here.
Let’s Make Chicken Potato Croquettes
To start things, if you haven’t cooked the ingredients before. Start with Preparing boiled Potatoes, Peel, chop, and boil potatoes until they’re soft. Then, Cook chicken breasts until fully cooked, then shred them into small pieces. (skip these parts if you have done the ingredients)
Make Filling Mixture
Now, to make chicken potato croquettes start with In a skillet, sauté minced garlic, sliced onions, boiled corn kernels, and green bell pepper over medium heat until the mixture becomes fragrant.
Secondly, Add all-purpose flour to the sautéed aromatics and cook until the flour turns a golden brown color and becomes aromatic. This roux will serve as a thickening agent for the filling.
Then, Gradually pour in the milk, stirring continuously until the mixture thickens. This creates a creamy base for the croquettes, ensuring a luscious and smooth texture.
Next, add the shredded chicken to the creamy mixture. Season with salt, black pepper, chili powder, 1 teaspoon of mushroom powder, soy sauce, and sweet soy sauce. Mix thoroughly until all the ingredients are well combined. This step infuses the filling with a savory and well-balanced flavor profile.
The next process is to mash the previously boiled potatoes and add them to the chicken mixture along with grated cheese. Season with additional salt, black pepper, and mushroom powder. Stir until everything is evenly combined.
Shape and Chill
Then, Shape the mixture into ovals and place them in the freezer for 30 minutes. Chilling the croquette mixture helps it firm up, making it easier to handle and ensuring the croquettes maintain their shape during the frying process.
After 30 minutes, coat the chilled potato mixture with cornstarch. Then, dip each croquette into beaten eggs and finally coat them with fine breadcrumbs. Repeat this process until all croquettes are evenly coated. This coating provides a crispy exterior when fried.
Serve, Enjoy, and Storage Tips
Finally, Serve them with your favorite dipping sauce, such as ketchup, mayo, or garlic chili oil. Enjoy your homemade chicken potato croquettes! They are perfect for parties, snacks, or as a side dish.
As a Side Dish idea, you can Pair the chicken croquettes with a side salad, steamed vegetables, or a light dipping sauce to complement the crispy exterior and creamy interior. in Indonesia, it is common to eat chicken croquette with warm rice lol.
For storage option; If you have any leftover croquettes, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheat them in the oven for a few minutes to maintain their crispiness. you can save it in the freezer too, put it in an air container zip bag, and it lasts up to 3 months
Try this recipe!
For cooking videos, check out and subscribe to our Youtube page. you can join our email for the latest idea menus.
Try other Fried Snack Ideas here;
Thank you, your supports are so much appreciated 💕
Written by Silni Asfia
Chicken Potato Croquettes
- ½ lb Chicken breast fillet boiled and shredded
- 3 Potatoes peeled, cut, and boiled
- ⅓ cup boiled corn kernels
- ¼ cup Green bell pepper chopped
- ⅓ cup grated cheese
- ½ Onion sliced
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- ¾ tsp Salt
- ⅗ tsp Blackpepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp Soy sauce
- ½ tsp Sweet soy sauce
- 2 tsp Mushroom powder
- 2 tbsp All purpose flour
- 1 cup Milk
- ⅓ cup Cornstrach
- 2 Egg
- ¾ cup fine breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup Vegetable oil
Sauté garlic, onion, corn kernels and green bell pepper until fragrant
Add all-purpose flour and cook until it turns golden brown and aromatic.
Slowly pour in the milk, then stir until it thickens
Add the shredded chicken, salt, black pepper, chili powder, 1 tsp mushroom powder, soy sauce, and sweet soy sauce. mix until well combined
Mash the boiled potatoes, then add the chicken mixture and cheese, Season with salt, black pepper, and mushroom powder. Stir until everything is well combined.
Shape the mixture into ovals and let them sit in the freezer for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, coat the potato mixture with cornstarch, dip them into beaten eggs, and then coat them with fine bread crumbs. Repeat this step until all are done.
Heat the cooking oil in a pan until hot, then fry until both sides are golden brown.