Chicken Nori Roll is an Asian-Korean Inspired snack dish but make it low-key simple! A humble version of Gimmari with a twist of ingredients. Instead of glass noodles, I changed the ingredients with chicken and wrapped and rolled in nori and rice paper for a super crispy texture! Try this recipe at home and you know why is it addicting and mouthwatering!
Gimmari Inspired; but not a real Gimmari
Before I make this recipe, let’s talk about Gimmari a.k.a kimmari or gimari first. what is that? Do you know about gimmari? It’s a delightful Korean street food snack that consists of fried seaweed rolls. These rolls are crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside, creating a perfect combination with spicy tteokbokki. Unlike traditional rice-filled rolls, gimmari is stuffed with glass noodles, giving them a fun and springy texture.
Locals in Korea absolutely love gimmari – it’s affordable, convenient to eat on the go, and simply delicious! Whether enjoyed as a snack, appetizer, or alongside other Korean dishes, these savory treats can be found in every corner of South Korea.
So, if you’re a fan of tteokbokki, you definitely need to give gimmari a try – it’s an experience you won’t regret! You can often find gimmari at tteokbokki specialty shops, as well as in mini-vans or carts that sell Korean street food. Kimari, or gimmari, is a popular Korean snack that you’ll commonly encounter in street stalls and night markets. Similar to Korean corn dogs, these deep-fried seaweed rolls are made with seasoned glass noodles wrapped in seaweed. If you have leftover Korean japchae noodles, gimmari is a fantastic way to use them. They are then coated in a light batter and deep-fried until they turn golden brown.
What makes this recipe different?
What sets this recipe apart? While the appearance may be similar, the ingredients used here are mostly different, especially for the chicken batter. I don’t want to claim it as a true gimmari recipe since I’m not entirely sure what that entails. I wouldn’t want to upset any genuine gimmari enthusiasts, hehe. So, here’s a Gimmari-inspired, but not quite the same, creation: a Chicken Nori Roll. I improvised this recipe using whatever ingredients I had in my refrigerator, but don’t worry, it turned out wonderfully crispy and delicious. Surprisingly, it pairs exceptionally well with spicy tteokbokki or spicy ramyeon noodles.
And let me tell you about the texture – it’s like a party in your mouth! You’ve got the crispy crunch of the nori, the tender bite of the chicken, and that creamy goodness of the avocado all rolled into one. It’s like every bite is a little taste explosion, and who doesn’t love that? Plus, it’s so easy to customize.
Would you like to give this recipe a try? So yeah, it might not be your traditional Gimmari, but who needs labels anyway? It’s all about the taste, and trust me, this Chicken Nori Roll brings it in spades. Let’s gather the ingredients and follow the instructions below for a delightful Chicken Nori Roll that will surely impress your taste buds!
What Inside of Chicken Nori Roll
- Chicken Breast boneless and skinless; Start by preparing the chicken breast. Trim any excess fat and cut the chicken into thin strips or bite-sized pieces. This will ensure that the chicken cooks quickly and evenly when deep-fried. I want still a meaty texture, but you can change chicken breast to ground chicken.
- Cornstarch; adds a light and crispy texture to the chicken when fried
- Sesame Oil; adds a rich and nutty aroma that enhances the overall taste of the chicken.
- Garlic; for aromatic taste, Finely mince or crush garlic to infuse the batter with a savory and aromatic element
- Egg; As a binding agent, just use a room-temperature egg
- Salt; for seasoning and balancing the overall flavor taste of chicken batter
- Chicken Stock Powder; This will add some umami taste This adds a savory depth that complements the other elements of the dish
- Pepper; Add a dash of pepper to provide a hint of heat and balance the flavors in the batter
- sheet Nori; Nori sheets are essential for the Chicken Nori Roll. These seaweed sheets provide a savory and umami flavor to the roll, and their crispiness contrasts with the tender fillings.
- sheet Rice Paper; Rice paper will be used as the last layer and add extra crispy to this chicken nori roll. Make sure to soak in water first before rolling it up. Use to roll all the chicken nori roll mixture
- Water; Additionally, rice paper needs to be soaked in water to become flexible for rolling.
How to Make Chicken Nori Roll
First, combine all the chicken batter ingredients, including boneless and skinless Chicken Breast, Cornstarch, Sesame Oil, Garlic, Egg, Salt, Chicken Stock Powder, and Pepper, in a food processor. Grind until the chicken breast is smooth, then transfer the chicken batter to a piping bag.
Next, proceed to the second step. Cut the nori in half and lay it on your working surface. Using the piping bag, squeeze the chicken batter onto the nori sheet, then roll it up neatly. Brush water on the tip of the nori roll to seal it securely.
For the third step, cut the rice paper in half and dip it in water until the entire wrapper has been moistened. Place it on your working surface and roll the chicken nori with the moistened rice paper. Use scissors to cut the roll into 3 parts, then proceed to fry them.
In the fourth step, cut the chicken nori rolls into 3 parts using scissors, then fry them in cooking oil over medium heat until they are golden brown. Once cooked, rest the chicken nori rolls on a cooling rack to remove excess oil.
Finally, serve the chicken nori rolls with your preferred sauce and indulge in the delightful flavors!
Recreate this recipe!
Try this recipe, and tell me what you think about it!
Hope you enjoy this Chicken Nori Roll as much as I do. Let me know your results by uploading pictures and tagging us on Instagram at Much Butter and Pinterest. Do not forget to see and follow our new Tiktok Account. For cooking videos, check and subscribe to our Youtube page. you can join our email for the latest idea menus.
Here are recommendations Korean snacks for you;
Thank you for your support, saranghayeo💕
Chicken Nori Roll
- 500 g Chicken Breast boneless and skinless
- 3 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 3 clove Garlic
- 2 Egg
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Chicken Stock Powder
- ½ tsp Pepper
- sheet Nori
- sheet Rice Paper
Place all the chicken batter ingredients to a food processor then grind until the chicken breast is smooth. Transfer the chicken batter to a piping bag.
Cut nori in a half then line on working surface. Squeeze the chicken batter onto nori sheet then roll up neatly. Brush water on the tip of the nori roll to seal the roll.
Cut rice paper in a half, dip rice paper in a water until the entire wrapper has been moistened then place it on your working surface. Roll the chicken nori with a moistened rice paper. Cut using scissors into 3 parts then fry
Cut the chicken nori rolls using scissors into 3 parts then fry in a cooking oil over medium heat until nice and golden. After the chicken nori rolls are cooked, rest it on a cooling rack to remove excess oil.
Serve it with sauce. Enjoy!