Meet your new snack favorite! Honey chili chicken, a fresh spicy sweet chicken with Sriracha sauce, It’s Chinese-style takeaway Perfection. So yummy for movie agenda time!
What is Honey Chili Chicken?
Honey chili chicken is a popular dish that combines tender pieces of chicken fillet or boneless with a Sriracha sauce, and sauce from a mix of honey and chili peppers. The chicken is typically marinated or coated in the sauce and then cooked until it becomes flavorful, sticky, and caramelized. The combination of sweet honey and spicy chili creates a harmonious balance of flavors. The dish is well-known for its perfect balance of sweet and spicy flavors, creating a delightful taste.
Honey chili chicken serve in various styles, such as stir-frying, grilling, or baking, and is often served as a main course accompanied by rice, noodles, or vegetables.
Meanwhile, the exact origins of honey chili chicken are not well-known exactly, but it is believed to have originated in Asian cuisines, particularly in China. The combination of honey and chili has been used in Chinese cooking for a long time, and over time, it has evolved into various recipes for honey chili chicken.
In Chinese cuisine, a similar dish called “Sweet and Sour Chicken” has been enjoyed for a long time, where chicken is cooked in a tangy sweet and sour sauce.
Besides, it’s happening in Indonesia to about this dish but from Korean, it called Kkuldak streetfood restaurant, a menu called Korean honey chicken, the wet texture is almost the same, but I think the difference lies on adding bbq sauce flavour in their menu.
What make this snacks will become your new favorite? Here I answer some reasons;
Interesting fact, this dish is more than just crispy chicken! I gotta talk about the amazing chili sauce! The most important thing, it’s made with Sriracha sauce, honey, fresh garlic, and soy sauce. It’s spicy, sweet, garlicky good, and a cinch to make. Between the chicken and the sauce, this recipe is outstanding!
It’s not your ordinary snack with spicy chilli and chicken only, but this honey chili chicken is so unique, tempting with some amazing taste, rich flavorful and everytime I write this, my mouth is watering thinking about that hahaha But yes, it is very well, very good taste.
Moreover why you should make this at home because Chicken is coated in a sticky, honey and chilli sauce, use simple ingredients to make and you can find it anywhere, a tasty meal and of course, so easy to make and the best thing is there is only one tray to wash up afterwards.
So, hurry up, prepare all the ingredients and get ready for cook together!
Ingredients of Honey Chili Chicken
For the ingredients, I divided into three big parts, I know it looks like a lot to do, but actually, it is very easy, and most of the ingredient is the same things, It is just to make it easier step by step to do,
1. Ingredients for Marinate Chicken
- Chicken Breast Fillet; I use chicken breast fillet for making this recipe, you can use boneless chicken or chicken strips too, make sure to cut the chicken into the same thin size
- Dark Soy Sauce; A classic ingredient, dark soy sauce brings a salty depth to the honey chili sauce and balances well with the sweetness of the honey. you can use soy sauce but add more quantity.
- Garlic Paste; you can use fresh garlic, I made this because it is instant, and will not overpower the rest ingredients for marinating.
- Salt and Pepper; for seasoning
- Red Chili Powder; add an extra layer of spiciness
2. Other Ingredients
- Egg; use to adhere coating chicken between cornstarch with chicken
- Cornstarch; to add a crispy texture combined with plain flour ensures the coating is light and crispy. Substitute: rice flour or tapioca starch although, I find cornflour produces the best consistency.
- Garlic; adding aroma Always use freshly minced garlic cloves.
- Cooking oil; I use vegetable cooking oil, just use neutral oil for frying, so the chicken will not overpower
- Spring Onion; for garnish
- Sesame Seed; for garnish
3. Ingredients for Sauce
- Honey; the main part of the sauce, adds extra sweetness taste and balances the spiciness.
- Hot Chili Sauce; As this chili sauce mixture is very versatile, you can reduce the chili sauce and chili flakes amount according to your taste. You can use sriracha chili sauce, here in Indonesia I found it hard so I change into ordinary hot chili sauce
- Ketchup; more like honey part participation, adds a sweet flavor
- Rice Vinegar; add a little bit of sour taste
- Chili Flakes or you can use crushed chilies
- Cornstarch; I use this for adding a sticky texture
- all of the sauce ingredients are made for sriracha sauce, you can buy an instant sriracha sauce at groceries store.
- Sesame Oil; Adds so much yummy depth of flavor to the chicken
How to Make Honey Chili Chicken
First thing first to do, start by cut the chicken breast fillet into strips. Then, combine it with all the marinate ingredients and marinate for at least 15 minutes.
Then, after marinating, let’s make coating for the chicken, you need to add the egg and mix until well combined. Next, dredge the marinated chicken with cornstarch until well coated.
Next, go to the frying process. Heat oil over medium-high heat. We will make double-frying methods, first cook the chicken until it is halfway cook. Remove it from the heat and let it cool for 5 minutes. Once cooled, fry the chicken again until it becomes crispy and golden brown. be careful not to overcook chicken to avoid chicken becoming chewy and tough. Rest it on a cooling rack to remove excess oil.
Let’s combine the sauce, and move the excess oil from frying, leaving only 2 tablespoons in the pan. Next, sauté the minced garlic for 2 minutes. Then, add all the honey chili sauce ingredients except cornstarch and water. In a small mixing bowl, add cornstarch and water, mixing until there are no lumps.
In the final step, reduce the heat to low and slowly add the cornstarch mixture to the pan. Stir until well combined. Once the sauce thickens, add the fried chicken strips and stir until the chicken coat evenly. Cook for a few minutes.
Place the honey chili chicken on a plate and garnish it with spring onion and sesame seeds before serving. Finally, enjoy your delicious honey chili chicken!
The sticky and wet texture it’s just another level, I suggest you eat with a chopstick or a fork. I love eating this Honey chicken chili as a snack or as a side dish with steamed rice and broccoli or other veggies. What do you think?
MOOD FOR OTHERS SNACKS? TRY THESE TASTY RECIPE IDEAS:
Don’t forget to try this recipe, let me know if this recipe works and be your favorite menu to cook. You can save this recipe by signing up for my email list! Do not forget to leave a star rating and a review in the comment section further down the page. I always appreciate your feedback.
Thank you for your support❤
Honey Chili Chicken
- 400 g Chicken Breast Fillet
- 1 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- ½ tbsp Garlic Paste
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
Honey Chili Sauce
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 3 tbsp Hot chili Sauce
- 2 tbsp Ketchup
- 1 tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 tsp Chili Flakes
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- ⅓ cup Water
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Egg
- ⅓ cup Cornstarch
- 2 clove Garlic
- Spring Onion for garnish
- Sesame Seed for garnish
Cut chicken breast fillet into strips. Combine it with all the marinate ingredients and marinate for 15 minutes. After marinate, add egg and mix until well combine. Dredge the marinated chicken with cornstarch until well coated.
Heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook chicken until the chicken half cooked. Remove from heat and let it cool for 5 minutes. Fried again the chicken until crispy and golden brown. Rest it on a cooling rack to remove excess oil.
Discard all the oil, leaving only 2 tablespoons in the pan and sautee minced garlic for 2 minutes, then add all the honey chili sauce ingredients except cornstarch and water. Into a small mixing bowl, add cornstarch and water and mix until there is no lump.
Reduce the heat to low, and slowly add the cornstarch mixture to the pan and stir until well combine. Once the sauce thickens, add the fried chicken strips, and stir until the chicken evenly coated and cook for few minutes.
Place the honey chili chicken to a plate and garnish it with spring onion and sesame seed before serving. Enjoy!