Cheesy Tuna Corn Muffins are quick and easy savory muffins that are perfect for picnics and breakfast. savory blend of tuna, sweet corn, and melted cheese in each delightful bite. Try it now! They are so versatile and come together in no time at all.
They are a great grab-and-go option and freezer-friendly. Really, what’s not to love about them? And I am sure you will love these Corn and Cheese Muffins. These muffins are a great idea not only for breakfast but also for finger food –they taste great when they are hot, and they also go down well when they are cold, so they would be very suitable to put in lunch boxes.
Tuna might not be the first thing you think of in a muffin, but savory muffins are your friend when you’ve got kids, trust me. As many parents tell me and I know from experience, there’s very little you can put in a muffin that the kids won’t eat.
When I need to make something quickly, whether it be friends dropping by on short notice, to take somewhere, or a last-minute food gift, I turn to these muffins more than any other sweet treat recipe I’ve shared. Ever.
Everything about muffin
Talking about a simple and quick breakfast dish that includes everything, protein, fulfilling, and veggies you know the answer is a savory muffin. In general, a muffin is a small, typically round individual portion of baked dough or batter. Muffins come in various flavors and can include ingredients like fruits, nuts, and chocolate chips, or savory additions like cheese and herbs. They are often sweet, but savory variations are also common.
Muffins are quick and easy to make, usually requiring basic ingredients like flour, sugar, baking powder, eggs, and milk. The batter is mixed and then baked in muffin tins, resulting in a convenient and portable snack or breakfast item.
The Evolution of Muffins: A Historical Perspective
The term “muffin” traces its roots back to 18th-century Britain, where early muffins resembled flatbreads and were cooked on griddles. In the United States, muffins took on a different meaning, evolving into sweet, quick breads leavened with baking powder or soda, gaining popularity in the 19th and 20th centuries. In England, the term “muffin” refers to what Americans call “English muffins,” round, flat yeast-leavened bread often enjoyed toasted.
Distinguishing between American-style and English-style muffins is key. American-style muffins are typically larger, sweeter, and can encompass various flavorings and additions. On the other hand, English-style muffins are smaller, yeast-based, and are usually split and toasted before serving. Each style offers a unique culinary experience.
Today, muffins exhibit a wide range of flavors and styles. Now, a savory muffin is a delightful variation that takes the traditional muffin and adds a savory twist. Instead of sweetness, savory muffins feature ingredients like cheese, herbs, vegetables, and sometimes meat. They’re a tasty and convenient option for those who prefer a more savory flavor in their baked goods. Savory muffins can be enjoyed on their own or paired with other dishes for a satisfying and flavorful experience.
Let’s try this Cheesy Tuna corn Muffin with more depth, shall we?
Ingredients of Cheesy Tuna Corn Muffin
- All-purpose flour; The main dry ingredient providing structure to the muffins.
- Yogurt plain; Adds moisture and a subtle tangy flavor to the muffins. It also contributes to the muffins’ texture. this helps to activate the baking soda to give it a kick start so the muffins are lovely and soft with a tender crumb
- Eggs; Act as a binding agent, providing structure to the muffins
- Milk; Adds moisture and richness to the batter, contributing to the overall texture and flavor.
- Melted butter; I use unsalted butter here, which enhances the richness and flavor of the muffins. butter adds flavour but oil makes baked goods moist. With all the flavor from the Add-ins plus cheese, just using oil in the batter is fine!
- Baking powder; Acts as a leavening agent, helping the muffins rise and become fluffy.
- Baking soda is another leavening agent that reacts with acidic ingredients (like yogurt) to create a light texture.
- Salt and White pepper; Enhances the overall flavor of the muffins, balancing sweetness and other tastes. Adds a subtle heat and complements the other flavors
- Mushroom powder; Introduces an umami depth to the muffins, enhancing the savory profile.
- Tuna Chunks; Brings a savory, protein-rich element to the muffins.
- Boiled corn kernels; Add sweetness and texture to the muffins. I suggest you to use fresh k=corn kernel. However, if you can’t find it. just use frozen canned one because it tasteless and won’t change overall other taste.
- Cheese; Contributes richness and a gooey texture when melted, enhancing the overall cheesiness.I use mozzarella cheese here.
- Curly red pepper cut into thin slices; Adds a burst of color, flavor, and a slight crunch to the muffins.
- Green bell pepper cut into small pieces; Introduces a fresh, mild pepper flavor and additional color to the muffins.
How to Make Cheesy Tuna Corn Muffin
First, preheat the oven to 180°C and ready a flat baking tray for muffin cups. This step ensures the oven is set for optimal baking, and you’re all set with the tray.
Next, in a medium-sized bowl, blend the dry ingredients: all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pepper, and mushroom powder. Stir vigorously until achieving a thorough blend. This ensures an even distribution of leavening agents and seasonings.
Then, in another bowl, unite the wet ingredients: yogurt, eggs, milk, and melted butter. This forms the essential liquid base for the muffins, imparting moisture and structure.
After that, gradually integrate the dry ingredients into the wet mix, stirring actively to achieve a smooth, lump-free batter. This guarantees the muffins maintain a consistent and appealing texture.
Subsequently, introduce tuna, corn kernels, sliced chili peppers, sliced bell peppers, and cheese into the batter. Gently fold these ingredients until they actively blend throughout. This step introduces the savory and colorful components that actively distinguish these muffins.
Following that, use a spoon or scoop to actively fill the muffin cups with the batter until they are about 3/4 full. This active portioning ensures even baking and the desired muffin size.
Finally, place the muffin tray in the preheated oven and actively bake at 180°C for 25 minutes. This step concludes the process, resulting in actively delightful Cheesy Tuna Corn Muffins with a golden-brown exterior and a moist, flavorful interior.
Interested in making this recipe?
For cooking videos, check and subscribe to our Youtube page. you can join our email for the latest idea menus.
YOU MAY LIKE OTHER BREAKFAST SNACK IDEAS :
Cheesy Tuna Corn Muffin
- 2 cup All-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup Yogurt plain
- 2 Eggs
- ¾ cup Milk
- ½ cup Melted butter
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- ¾ tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- ¼ White pepper
- 1 sdt Mushroom powder
- ½ cup Tuna Chunks
- ¾ cup Boiled corn kernels
- ⅓ cup Cheese
- 5 Curly red pepper cut into thin slices
- ¼ cup Green bell pepper cut into small pieces
Preheat the oven to 180°C and prepare a flat baking tray for muffin cups.
In a medium-sized bowl, mix the dry ingredients: all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pepper, and mushroom powder. Stir until well combined.
In another bowl, combine the wet ingredients: yoghurt, eggs, milk, and melted butter.
Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until well mixed without lumps.
Add tuna, corn kernels, sliced chili peppers, sliced bell peppers, and cheese. Stir until everything is evenly mixed.
Fill the muffin cups with the batter until they are about 3/4 full.
Bake at 180°C for 25 minutes.